Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day!
What is a refrigerator?
A refrigerator is a cabinet or room in which food is stored. The refrigerator houses both raw and cooked foods as well as drinks and condiments.
Micro-organisms are everywhere especially where water or moisture can be found. Don’t be surprised that micro-organisms can be found in your refrigerator as well when adequate care isn’t taken and foods aren’t stored properly.
However, the refrigerator is one of the most important areas to focus on when you’re cleaning your kitchen. It’s vital that the appliance is kept clean and hygienic to reduce the risk of food poisoning.
What to Store and How to Store Them.
• Meat- Unwrap meat as soon as it is purchased, place it on a clean plate and put it into a refrigerator as quickly as possible.
• Poultry- Unwrap poultry and remove the giblets and damp with a clean cloth. Keep fresh poultry in a refrigerator.
• Fish- Unwrap fish as soon as possible, wipe it with a damp cloth and store in a refrigerator if not gutted. But if it has been gutted it should be cleaned and cooked within twenty-four hours of its purchase.
• Vegetables- Store root vegetables in a cool dark area of your refrigerator, do not wash before storing gently pack in polythene bag and store.
• Salads- Clean and dry salads ingredients before wrapping loosely in a polythene bag and store in a cool dark area.
• Fruits- Store fruits in a cool dark place removing any damaged or blemished fruit before storing. Note: if melons are to be chilled in a refrigerator they should be sealed in polythene bag as the smell will be absorbed by other refrigerated ingredients.
• Soups & stews- Soups & stews can be stored also when not in use in other to preserve the taste and flavour but should be consumed as soon as possible or latest 3-4days.
How to Make Your Refrigerator Clean and Free From Micro-Organisms.
1. Never should you store damaged food in the refrigerator. Instead select the good ones.
2. Clean out your refrigerator at least once a week and make use of the stored ingredient.
3. Use water, clean towel & antiseptic to dry out your refrigerator when not in use. Doing this eradicates bad odour and kills harmful bacteria.
4. Do not place any hot item in the refrigerator, let it cool before refrigerating.
5. Do not leave the refrigerator opened for a long time; indiscriminate opening and closing should be discouraged.
6. Check for leakages. i.e check every container containing ingredient in other not to contaminate other ingredient.
7. Little drops of lemon can be used alongside the antiseptic to clean your refrigerator; lemon gives a pleasant odour and kills the bacteria. Baking soda also can be used to remove stubborn stains from the refrigerator.